6/30/11

Surrendering Worry

I worry. Sometimes I worry a lot. I don't like it. It doesn't help anything at all. It really just creates a paranoid and negative frame of mind, making situations even worse for myself and others.  


God has brought it to my attention that when I worry I am not trusting Him. It is a lack of faith in the sovereign God. It is a sin and I need to repent whenever I fall into the ugly grasp of anxious thoughts. I'm so thankful our Lord instructs us in regards to this consuming sin.

Philippians 4:6-7 
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (NASB)

He wants us to trust Him and we should. He is totally in control.


So, when worry digs its way into my imperfect mind I am committing to hand it over in faith to my all powerful Lord. What a blessing of peace He offers. God is good, He doesn't want us to be anxious. Instead, He wants us to pray about everything and give us His perfect peace.  That is a good trade, worry for incomprehensible peace!

 
I seek to turn any hint of worry into praises and glory to my sovereign God for His goodness. Sometimes I have to do this over and over. Often, it takes a while for me to surrender my thoughts to Him. I know I will never be perfect but by the grace of God I have hope to grow in this area in my life. Only because of Jesus can I have this hope.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment